Old Photo's

Photographs tell the perfect story.

If you have any photographs about life in the village of Sutton Weaver (old or new) then please contact us. We will then display them on this page.

Click on an image to enlarge

The marriage of Emma Clarke to Joseph Smith - 3rd Sept 1888

Emma Clarke- Sutton Weaver 1888

The above photograph was taken on the day of the marriage of Emma Clarke to Joseph Smith on the 3rd September 1888.

The house shown is the house next to 'The Smithy'

The photograph was kindly donated by Jeremy Clarke.

Jeremy is seeking assistance in trying to find out more information about the Clarke family who lived in the village in the 19th century,particularly his Grandfather, James Clarke 1871 to 1947, his Father, Joseph Clark 1826 to 1883, and his Father, John Clarke 1798 to 1878. They all lived in the village of Sutton Weaver at some time at different addresses.
 
Jeremy is also trying to find details of his Great Grandfather - Edwin George Aitken 1848 to 1919. Edwin was the Village Blacksmith for a time.

If anyone can assist Jeremy then please contact us.

Station Road, Sutton Weaver Circa 1900

Station Road Circa 1900

This photograph shows life in the village over 100 years ago. The man near to the horse & cart is the local 'bread delivery man' - note the loaf of bread he is carrying.

John McCarroll has pointed out something very unusual in this photograph - Look at the man standing inside the fence on the left hand side of the road, look at the first semi-detached houses directly behind him and, then look between the two windows on the top floor, you will see a statue protruding from the wall. We have no knowledge what this statue is. Anyone have any idea what it is and when it was removed?

Mildura

The Nield family who lived at 'Mildura'  Station Road, Sutton Weaver from 1908 onwards. (Dates are d.o.b.)

Left to right:

Lawrence 1906, Marjorie 1898, Mary 1867, Frederick 1900, John Joseph 1865, Gladys 1897, Kenneth 1907. Ken emigrated to Australia in 1924.
John Joseph died in 1925 and Marjorie sold the house to a William Andrews in 1927.

Photo donated with thanks to John McCarroll.

The Smithy, sutton weaver

'The Smithy' was demolished and the Harrow Estates building now occupies the site, on the roundabout going towards Preston Brook and Whitehouse.

Photo donated with thanks to Paul Blackmore

sutton_weaver_august 9th_1911 - Click to enlarge

Chester Road, Sutton Weaver, 9th August 1911.

Photo donated with thanks to Janet Gunstone