Places of Worship

St. Peter's Church - Aston-By-Sutton

The 1st. & 3rd. Sundays are Eucharist Services led by the Reverand Colette Jones.Services starts at 11-15am

The 2nd. & 4th. Sunday Services, 'Morning Worship' are led by Mrs. Joan Sears and Mr. Philip Littlemore. Services start at 11-00am.

The Church is open to visitors every Saturday between 11-00am and 3-00pm, May to September. Enjoy a coffee and browse around this beautiful Grade 1 Listed Building.

Church Warden Details

David Sears Tel. 01928 713306

Jacky Hancock Tel. 01928 712159 / Mobile 0780 147 1508

St Peter''s Church, Aston, Cheshire

Click on a photo to enlarge:

Brief history:

The first chapel on the site of the present church was built in the early 16th century, not later than 1542. All that remains of this chapel is a stone in the churchyard which has been used for sharpening spears and knives.

The church was built in 1907.

The church was badly damaged by a land mine on 28 November 1940; damage was caused to the roof and the interior of the church. The roof was replaced but the church was still unusable and services were held elsewhere. It remained derelict until restoration began on 30 May 1949; this was completed in June 1950. In 2004 the church received a grant of £35,000 under the Repair Grants for Places of Worship scheme.

Listed Grade II in the churchyard are table tombs to William and Mary Okell, dated 1837, Mary Fletcher, dated 1776, Roll Okell and others, dated 1775. Another memorial in the churchyard is the grave of Chloe. Chloe was a slave from Gambia who was born around 1760 and who arrived in Liverpool in 1767. She spent her life as a servant to the Aston family, being given the surname of Gambia, and rose to the position of housekeeper. She died in 1838.The inscription on her gravestone reads:

'Chloe Gambia a negress Who died at Aston Hall the 12th Sept. 1838 aged 77 years or thereabouts. She lived in the Aston family 70 years'.

Also see: St. Peter's Church Hall

St Peters church interior